Tamasha’s artistic director, playwright Fin Kennedy, has a 12-year history working with inner city schools, co-creating plays with students and training teachers in using playwriting techniques in the classroom.
For Tamasha, Fin pioneered Schoolwrights, the UK’s first coordinated playwrights-in- schools training programme and founded Tamasha Playwrights, an in-house group trained to work as writers-in-residence in urban schools. This group of growing and diverse emerging professional playwrights is now available to hire – anything from a one-off workshop to a bespoke new play for young people. Tamasha Playwrights are also trained as producers and fundraisers, to work with schools to help raise the money together for more ambitious projects.
Projects we can offer include:
- Introduction to Playwriting workshop 2 hours
- Introduction to Playwriting 8-week course for students (or staff) 8 x 2-hour sessions including a script-in-hand performance with professional actors
- Hear Me Now Monologue writing workshop to develop bespoke audition pieces for diverse young actors, 2 x 2-hour workshops
- New play commission A new play by a professional Tamasha Playwright developed and written in collaboration with students, with parts written especially for them
- Theatre trips, text analysis and theatre criticism Group trip hosted by a Tamasha Playwright to see a show at any London venue plus follow up workshop/s to analyse the play and support students to write about it critically
- Playwriting residency A part-time playwright-in-residence for your school, college or youth theatre, to undertake numerous projects at once
Costs vary according to group size, workshop length, session numbers and performance outcomes.
Our writers are very adaptable and responsive to individual requests; we can usually curate something to suit all budgets.
Please contact Fin Kennedy for a quote or to discuss working with Tamasha to fundraise for a project in your school.
Schools and youth theatres we have already worked with include:
Mulberry School for Girls, Tower Hamlets
Swanlea School, Tower Hamlets
Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School, Islington
Robert Clack School, Barking and Dagenham
Hampstead School, Camden
Regent High School, Camden
Corelli College, Kidbrooke
Landau Forte College, Derby
Villiers School, Southall
Cardinal Newman School, Hove
Generation Arts, London Mercury Youth Theatre, Colchester
Belgrade Youth Theatre, Coventry Luton Hat Factory Youth Theatre
Greenwich Community College, Woolwich
St Paul’s Way Trust School, Bow
Wallington School for Girls, Sutton
Broomfield School, Enfield E15 Drama School, Southend
The Migration Museum